Portland Marathon Event Directors Conference
Portland, OR | 2018 Date TBD
The most valuable conference in the industry!
Update for 2017: The City of Portland has made very serious changes to the traditional marathon course due to a shortage of police officers. This in turn has impacted some of the key operations of the Portland Marathon related to the course.
These changes have brought on the need for additional planning and time commitments by Portland Marathon Event planners, particularly during the week before the Event. Unfortunately, all of these changes, the timing and other unknowns will not allow the Event Directors Conference to take place this year.
The plans are to host the EDC again in Charleston in the Spring of 2018. Please watch for further announcements.
Les Smith, Portland Marathon Event Director
An interactive and educational experience, this conference features a panel Q&A format with breakout sessions where the details of how to put on an event are discussed. Expert panelists review critical issues for events large and small, including: Politics & City Issues, Volunteer Programs, Sponsorships, Organization, Management, Financial Models, Legal Issues, Technology, Medical and more. This conference is hosted by the Portland Marathon.
Our panel of experienced event directors and experts guarantees a conference that's the best event-related and hands-on exchange in the industry. It's a conference you will not want to miss! Please note: As in past years, to ensure the most successful and instructional event, we are limiting enrollment. Sign up early!
Why you can't miss this conference:
- Panelists are top event directors & industry experts willing to share their insider knowledge
- Conference attendees are encouraged to join in dialogue & ask questions on any topic
- Attendance is capped at 120 attendees for best learning experience
- Evening networking dinners or receptions bring conference panelists & attendees together
- Conferences are coupled with top quality events to allow “inside look” opportunities
- Unique sponsorship & exhibitor opportunities available (space is limited)
Panelists & Speakers
- Jeff Curtis, CEO, Portland Rose Festival Foundation
- Steve Hamilton, President Hamilton Events
- Rich Harshbarger, CEO, Running USA
- Wally Kastner, Past Event Director, Big Sur International Marathon & Carmel Half
- Scott Keenan, Former Event Director, Grandma’s Marathon
- Gary Kutscher, Race Director, The OC Marathon
- Patrice Matamoros, Race Director, Dick’s Sporting Goods Pittsburgh Marathon
- Rick Nealis, Race Director, Marine Corps Marathon
- Beth Salinger, Endurance Marketing, Chief Event Officer
- Les Smith, Event Director, Portland Marathon
- Julian Smith, Event Director, Cooper River Bridge Run
- Mamie Wheeler, Portland Marathon Medical Director & Assistant Event Director
A limited number of Sponsor/Exhibitor spaces are available in the Trade Exhibit Room for Exhibitor supplied display, adjoining the conference (full access to all participants). Please preview sponsorship information here and contact Mamie to reserve your space before they sell out: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Are you an alumni of the Portland Marathon Event Directors College?
As an alumni you are welcome to join our Portland Marathon Event Directors College Facebook Group. This group is open to alumni of our conference and is a place to interact and continue the conversation!